If you were widowed on or before 5 April 2017 you may be able to claim Bereavement Allowance for 52 weeks.
****This benefit was abolished on 6 April 2018.****
Bereavement Allowance is paid if your husband, wife or civil partner died and:
- you were aged 45 at the time of their death
- the death was on or before 5 April 2017
- you're not bringing up children
- you're under State Pension age
- your late husband, wife or civil partner paid National Insurance contributions, or they died as a result of an industrial accident or disease
If their death occurred after 5 April 2017 you may be able to claim a Bereavement Support Payment instead.
Who can't get Bereavement Allowance
You won''t be able to receive Bereavement Allowance if any of the following apply:
- you were divorced from your late husband or wife at the time of their death
- your civil partnership was dissolved at the time of your civil partner's death
- you're living with another person as if you are married to them or as if you have formed a civil partnership
- you're in prison
If you were over state pension age when your husband, wife or civil partner died you may be able to get extra money on your state pension if they paid enough National Insurance contributions.
- if your spouse/partner had an incomplete NI record, the amount you get is reduced proportionally
How much is Bereavement Allowance
The amount of Bereavement Allowance you receive depends on your age when your spouse or civil partner died and their National Insurance contributions.
The maximum weekly rate of Bereavement Allowance is £119.90 and you can find more information about the benefit amounts on NI Direct.
If you remarry or enter into a new civil partnership your payments of Bereavement Allowance end.
It may also have an effect on other benefits that you receive such as Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support or Carers Allowance.
How to apply for Bereavement Allowance
You can contact the Bereavement Benefits section on 0800 085 2463 and request a form or you can download an application form online.
You must make the claim for Bereavement Allowance within 12 months of the death of your husband, wife or civil partner.