Widowed Parents Allowance


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


You may be able to receive Widowed Parents Allowance if your husband, wife or civil partner has died and you receive Child Benefit for at least one child that you are responsible for.

****This benefit was abolished from 6 April 2018****

You cannot get Bereavement Allowance and Widowed Parent’s Allowance at the same time.  Widowed Parent’s Allowance is arguably preferable, because it is not time-limited and there is no reduction if you are under 55.

You qualify for Widowed Parent's Allowance if:

  • you’re under state pension age
  • you are entitled to Child Benefit for at least one ‘eligible child’
  • your spouse/partner satisfied National Insurance contributions

You may also claim Widowed Parent’s Allowance if:

  • you're expecting your late husband's baby or your late civil partner's baby (with whom you were pregnant from fertility treatment)
  • your husband, wife or civil partner died as a result of their work - even if they didn't pay NICs

Who isn't eligible for a Bereavement Payment?

  • you were divorced from your husband or wife or the civil partnership had dissolved when the civil partner died
  • you remarry or are living with a partner as husband and wife or as if you had formed a civil partnership
  • you're in prison

Quick tip:

  • you cannot claim this if you re-marry/enter a civil partnership

Further Information

You can find out more information regarding Widowed Parents Allowance by visiting NI Direct.