Grants and Schemes

Back to top

There may be a number of ways in which you can access financial and practical help to repair, maintain or improve your home whether you are a social tenant, private tenant or owner occupier.

These grants and schemes are delivered by many agencies (public, private and voluntary sector) and vary in their aims and objectives. Please, email us if you wish us to include other grants and schemes applicable to older people in Northern Ireland.

Back to top

Home Improvement Grants Scheme

A funding shortfall due to the property crash has meant that the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) has had to curtail its grant funding dramatically. For further information on the remaining Home Improvement Grants, visit the NIHE website.

For further information on how to apply

Back to top

The Boiler Replacement Scheme

The boiler replacement scheme helps owner occupiers to improve the energy efficiency of their homes. The scheme is open to owner occupiers whose household income is less than £40,000 and who have an inefficient boiler of at least 15 years old.

The Boiler Replacement Scheme is open to owner occupiers with a household income of less than £40,000.

Back to top

The Social Fund

The Social Fund is a series of grants and loans set up by the Social Security Agency to meet certain needs if no other agency can assist you. Where no other avenue to finance repair or home improvement may exist, it may be possible for you to apply for social fund assistance.

Eligibility will be subject to your receiving qualifying benefits and be dependent on your circumstances. It is important to bear in mind that the scheme is discretionary.

The social fund is a scheme to help people with needs which are difficult to meet from regular income. It is made up of two distinct parts:

i. A regulated scheme which provides entitlement to maternity, funeral, cold weather and winter fuel payments for people who satisfy certain qualifying conditions

ii. A discretionary scheme under which people may be eligible in certain circumstances for a:

  • Community Care Grant (CCG) - to meet, or help to meet, a need for community care
  • Budgeting Loan (BL) - to meet, or help to meet, an intermittent expense
  • Crisis Loan (CL) – interest free loan to meet, or help to meet, an immediate short term need

For further information about Social Fund Payments contact your local Jobs and Benefits/Social Security office.

Back to top

The B&Q Diamond Card

B&Q offer a 10% discount every Wednesday to people over the age of 60 who have their Diamond Card. Membership is free. This will come in handy if you need to repair your home or even if you just enjoy a spot of D.I.Y.

Back to top