Grants and Schemes

Back to top

A number of schemes are available to help with the cost of making your home more energy efficient and to help to heat your home when the weather is particularly bad. 

Back to top

Boiler Replacement Allowance

The boiler replacement scheme helps owner occupiers to improve the energy efficiency of their homes.  The scheme is open to owner occupiers whose household income is less than £40,000 and who have an inefficient boiler of at least 15 years old.  

Find out about the Boiler Replacement Allowance from NI Direct.

Back to top

Cold Weather Payments

For those on low incomes, a cold weather payment is to help with extra heating costs during very cold weather in the particular area where you live. The payment is £25 when the average temperature is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees Celsius or below over seven consecutive days during the period from 1 November to 31 March. It must be noted that this has to happen in the area where the claimant lives. For further information on cold weather payments, visit NI Direct

Back to top

Disabled Facilities Grant

The Disabled Facilities Grant is available to homeowners and private tenants to assist with funding adaption work to their home if they are disabled. This can only be accessed if an Occupational Therapist recommends it.

To contact the South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust Occupational Therapy Departments call

  • 028 92 501 287 Lisburn Area
  • 028 44 513 810 ext 3532 Downpatrick Area
  • 028 91 515351 North Down and Ards Area

For further information on the Disabled Facilities Grant, visit NIHE

Back to top

Winter Fuel Payments

This tax-free annual benefit is paid by the Government  to help with the costs of keeping warm in winter. It does not affect your other benefits. You may be able to qualify for the payment if you were born on or before 5 October 1954 .

Payments can vary with age and range from £100 - £300.

Find out about Winter Fuel Payments from NI Direct.

Most eligible people should get their winter fuel payment automatically. However you may need to make a claim if, for example, you did not get a winter fuel payment the previous year or if you are not getting a State Pension.

Back to top