Special Benefits

Back to top

There may be other benefits that older people can enjoy.

For example, details of the Blue Badge Parking Scheme are below and TV Licensing have kindly given Rights 4 Seniors essential information that may save you money or hassle.

The Television Licensing logo.A colour TV licence would normally cost £159.  You may be able to receive 50% off your TV Licence if someone who lives with you is registered blind but they must be the licence holder for your address.

Back to top

Free Licence

You need a TV Licence to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV. This is the case whatever equipment you use. There are some instances when concessions are available however:

If you are aged 75 or over you are entitled to apply for a free TV Licence if you or your partner claim Pension Credit and live at the same address.

Back to top

How To Apply

People aged 75 or over do still need to apply for their TV Licence. To apply:

  • Have your national insurance number and date of birth to hand
  • Fill in a form online or
  • Telephone 0300 790 6073 8.30am and 6.30pm Monday to Friday

If you do not have your national insurance number, call 0300 790 6073 to arrange to provide other proof of your date of birth.

Back to top

If you are 74

If you are 74 and currently receive Pension Credit, you can apply for a free TV licence before you turn 75. Your payments will be updated to cover you until your 75th birthday.

Back to top

Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) Licence

The Accommodation for Residential Care (ARC) Licence allows certain residents who live in homes qualifying for the scheme to use TV receiving equipment in their unit of accommodation. It costs £7.50.

To be eligible for the concession, you must be living in either a local authority care home providing accommodation for disabled and retired people or a home managed by a person registered under Part II of the Care Standards Act 2000. A warden should live on the premises or work there for at least 30 hours a week.

In addition, you must be aged 60 or over or have a physical or mental disability. If you work, this has to be for no more than 15 hours per week.

Note for Wardens and Housing Managers

Wardens and housing managers should apply for and take responsibility for administering the licence on behalf of each person covered by it. They can call 0300 790 6011 for more information and to apply.

Further Information

Visit TV Licensing website or telephone 0300 790 6073.


The Blue Badge Scheme

This is a very important scheme if you have mobility problems. Displaying the blue badge on your vehicle gives you access to designated parking bays close to where you wish to go. It may even give you concessions to specific on-street parking fees and times.

Blue Badge Parking Scheme Details

The NI Direct website has details of all the links and criteria you need to know when applying for the scheme.

Back to top