Private Rental


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


You can rent a home that is not owned by either the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) or a housing association. This is generally known as a private rental.

The tenancy agreement you signed when you first rented the property should outline what repairs you are responsible for and those which the landlord should fix.

If not, since April 2007, The Private Tenancies Order (NI) 2006 makes clear the default legal repair responsibilities that the landlord and tenant have. In very general terms these are listed as:


The landlord is responsible for:

  • the structure and exterior of the property
  • the interior of the property (beyond any damage by the tenant)
  • heating appliances


The tenant is responsible for:

  • taking care of the premises
  • making good any damage caused
  • keeping the inside of the property in reasonable decorative order

For more information, download A Guide for Private Landlords and Tenants in Northern Ireland (PDF 868 KB) from the Department for Social Development.