Health Care Complaints


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


The Health and Social Care (HSC) complaints process can help address your concerns and make positive changes for the future.

Complaints normally focus on five main areas of concern:

  1. Medical treatment (or lack of)
  2. Buildings and environments
  3. Information you were given or not given
  4. Waiting times
  5. Behaviour or attitude of staff

If you are unhappy with the care or treatment you received from Health and Social Care (HSC) services in Northern Ireland, you have the right to make a complaint.

A man begins to write a letter of complaint.We have information on how to make a complaint, including what details you should prepare, or where you may be able to get help with a complaint

Complaining on behalf of someone

Anyone who uses the wide range of HSC services can make a complaint. Indeed your family or friends can make a complaint on your behalf too, although your consent may be required.

If you want to complain on behalf of someone else, the hospital or practice must agree that you are a suitable representative. You can also make a complaint on behalf of an existing or former patient if the patient is unable to act for themselves.

Complaints about private treatment

If the HS arranged private treatment for you and you are unhappy with the treatment, you can use the HSC complaint procedures. However, if the complaint is about private care or treatment which you paid for, you must follow the private company’s complaint process.


The HSC complaints process can help address your concerns and make positive changes for the future.