We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


Report any problems or repairs needed directly to your landlord or letting agent.

If a private landlord is responsible for the repairs, they should be carried out within a reasonable time. This is not defined in law and is dependent on the nature and circumstances of the repair.

If it is clear that a landlord is ignoring their responsibility to carry out a repair or has not done so satisfactorily, you should request a fitness inspection from the Environmental Health Department of your local council.

After a fitness inspection, the property may be refused a certificate of fitness and the amount of rent payable on that property may be controlled in an effort to compel your landlord to meet their responsibilities. Your local council should detail a schedule of works necessary to make the property fit as well as a time scale in which work must be done.

A landlord is obliged to carry out the works within a reasonable time. Failing this, the council may do the work itself and take the landlord to court for compensation.

Some people in the private rental sector may be able to access help with repairs and adaptations through grant schemes.