Apply for Sheltered Housing


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]

Back to top

This section will prepare you for the steps to access sheltered housing accommodation.

The Northern Ireland Housing Executive and each Housing Association may have individual allocation policies although the application form is the same.

As demand for accommodation exceeds supply, you may have to be flexible and wait some time. Nevertheless, if you believe that your application has been handled badly, you can make a complaint.

Back to top

Allocation Policy

Allocation policies for sheltered housing differ with different providers.If you do not qualify with one housing association, you may be able to apply to others which have different allocation policies.

Housing Association Shared-Ownership Schemes

Owner-occupiers, or those with savings over a certain limit, are unlikely to be offered accommodation with a Housing Association. However, some housing associations operate shared-ownership schemes if you have capital but cannot afford sheltered housing at the market price.

If you wish to buy sheltered housing accommodation but do not have the income or funds to secure the full amount, you may be able to purchase a property through co-ownership. This enables you to live in the home that you want at a low cost.
If you are eligible for the scheme (you will usually need to have earnings or pension above the limit for claiming benefits), you could share ownership of the property with a co-ownership housing association.
Details of Housing Associations running co-ownership schemes can be obtained from the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) or from Elderly Accommodation Counsel.
Visit Co-Ownership Housing for further information about such schemes.


Back to top

Application Form

You can complete a single application form for consideration by all social landlords (Northern Ireland Housing Executive and Housing Associations) who have sheltered housing accommodation in the area in which you wish to live.

An application form can be obtained from the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) website or from your local Housing Association Office. Otherwise, you can apply by phoning the NIHE on 08448 920 900.

Back to top

Making a Complaint

If you are unhappy with the way your application for sheltered housing has been handled by a Housing Association, you can make a formal complaint through their own internal complaints procedure.

If you are not happy after going through this procedure, you may ask about making an appeal to the committee which manages the association.

For complaints about public and social housing in Northern Ireland, contact the Northern Ireland Ombudsman or telephone 0800 34 34 24.

Back to top

Waiting Times

Demand for sheltered and extra-care housing is often greater than supply, so you should expect to wait for housing to become available.

Ask the Housing Association roughly how long you are likely to have to wait for accommodation in its scheme. Waiting lists can vary from a few months to a few years.

The most desirable schemes usually have the longest waiting lists, so prepare to be flexible.


Back to top