Assessment of Need


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


An assessment of need aims to gauge the needs you have and the type of help and support you require to meet those needs.

You can then be provided with services in your own home or with a placement in a care home. If you require assistance to live at home or feel you can no longer manage at home, you can ask for an assessment of need. A carer or a person who is registered disabled can also request an assessment.

The assessment of need will examine the following factors:

  • Physical health
  • Mental health
  • Capacity for the activities of daily living and self care
  • Abilities and lifestyle
  • The contribution of informal carers
  • Social network and support
  • Housing
  • Finance
  • Environmental factors

Below is what you need to do to get an assessment of need. We have set out how you can prepare for your assessment of need or what you can expect on being notified of its outcome.

As always, it will be useful to know what options you have if there is a delay to your assessment or no assessment at all.

How can I get an assessment of need?

There are several ways in which your need for an assessment may be triggered. You may:

  • Apply for a place in residential accommodation or in a nursing home
  • Apply for some domiciliary services
  • Be referred by your GP or a professional officer of the Trust (including hospital staff)
  • Be referred by a voluntary organisation
  • Be referred by an informal carer seeking assistance, by a relative or by some other person if they think that you have needs that are not being met

If you feel you require help at home to meet your care needs, you should contact your GP and, remember, a care assessment should be carried out free of charge.