A Funeral Payment is to help with funeral costs that you are responsible for if you’re on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you’re arranging.
To receive a Funeral Payment there are three stages of eligibility criteria. Firstly, you or your partner must be in receipt of any of the following Benifits/tax credits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance/ Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Working Tax Credit which includes a disability or severe disability element
- Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
- Universal Credit
Secondly your relationship with the person who has died must be clarified as to be able to get a Funeral Payment you must also be either:
- The partner of the deceased when they died
- The parent of the deceased child, or have been responsible for the deceased child (and there is no absent parent) (unless they are getting one of the above qualifying benefits or were estranged from the child at the date of death)
- The parent of a still-born child
- A close relative or close friend of the deceased (and it is reasonable for you to accept responsibility for the funeral costs)
Thirdly the Department will also consider how much money (other than your personal savings) is available to help you with the cost of the funeral, for example: insurance policies.
What you may receive
If the person who died had a pre-paid funeral plan, you’ll only get help for items not covered by the plan, the Funeral Payment can help pay for:
- Burial fees and exclusive rights to burial in a particular plot
- Cremation fees, including the cost of the doctor’s certificate
- Up to £700 for funeral expenses, such as funeral director’s fees, flowers, coffin
- Travel to arrange or go to the funeral
- The costs for moving the body within the UK - but only for the part of the journey that’s over 50 miles.
You must submit an application for a funeral payment within 6 months of the funeral date.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for a Funeral Payment you can Download a form or contact your local Jobs and Benefits Office.
Visit NI Direct for related information on Funeral Payments