Building Regulations


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


In Northern Ireland each District Council is responsible for the enforcement of building regulations.

Responsibilities include the passing of plans within council boundaries or the enforcement of building standards and regulations on improvement work. The functions are carried out by each council’s Building Control Department.

Examples of works subject to building control include:

  • Erecting a new building
  • Extending an existing building
  • Changing the use of a building (e.g. house to offices)
  • Converting a roof space or garage
  • Replacing existing walls, floors, roofs, and stairs
  • Making two rooms into one
  • Removal of a chimney breast
  • Installing cavity wall insulation
  • Dry lining walls or lining walls/ceilings with sheeting or boarding
  • Replacing fire doors
  • Provision of services or fittings – for example:
    • Installation of central heating
    • Replacement/relining flues.
    • Installation of new sanitary appliances (not replacement only)

Planning permission may also be required in advance and, if you are considering such works, you should contact the Planning Service Northern Ireland. They work at local council level with Building Control Departments through their Divisional Planning Offices.

The Building Control website which serves as a main portal and information source for building regulations and other associated legislation. Check their Advice and Guidance section or contact your local council before you begin any major works.