Retiring Abroad


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


If you decide to retire abroad you will still be paid your UK State Pension.

People living in the UK will get an annual increase in their pension amount (up-rating). For those retiring outside the UK, the receipt of any rises in state pension (up-rating), however, may be affected. You will only receive an up-rated pension if you have:

  • Retired to a European Economic Area (EEA) country
  • Retired to a non-EC country where the UK has a social security agreement covering State Pension increases

For further information on the relevant countries, visit the Department for Work and Pensions website.

If you retire to a country where no special social security agreement has been agreed, your pension will stay fixed at the rate that existed when you retired abroad.

Useful Contacts from NI Direct

Pension Service

International Pension Centre