Apply for Carer's Allowance


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


There are two different claim forms for Carer's Allowance:

  • Applicants of Carer's Allowance who receive an amount of State Pension need to complete the shortened form DS700SP
  • Applicants of Care's allowance who are not in receipt of State Pension need to complete the full form DS700

Download these forms from the NI Direct website

An application pack can be obtained by contacting Disability and Carers Service on 0800 587 0912 (Text Number - 0800 012 1574) or by contacting the Benefits Enquiry helpline (helpline number- 0800 022 4250)

Forms can also be obtained from Carers Northern Ireland, telephone 028 9043 9843, who also offer a service to help you complete their Carer’s Allowance form.

Carer’s Allowance is usually paid directly into a bank, building society or post office account.

Backdating Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance can be backdated for up to 3 months if you were entitled prior to claiming it. You must request that it is backdated and satisfy the rules for claiming it during those three months. Money owed will be paid in arrears.

Decisions and Appeals

Decisions about a claim will be sent in writing. If you disagree with a decision, you have 1 month to dispute this. Either ask for a revision or lodge an appeal to a tribunal.

Seek Advice

If ever you are unsure whether or not it is to your advantage to claim Carer's Allowance, please seek the advice of a Benefits Adviser.