Direct Payments


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


Direct Payments enable you to stay in your own home and live as independently as possible.

A community nurse helps an older lady.Legislation provides that Trusts can give service users money, by way of Direct Payments, to provide for their own care needs. This means that you can purchase your own services to meet your needs rather than have the services arranged by the Trust.

The overall purpose of direct payments is to give you, as a service user, greater independence and control over your daily life. It allows you to decide who cares for you and how the money is spent.

Direct payments can be used for:

  • Employing a care worker
  • Buying services from a voluntary or private agency
  • Buying equipment
  • Paying for adaptations to the home

You can check to see whether you are eligible to receive Direct Payments or how these payments will be provided to you. Remember, though, that managing Direct Payments requires certain responsibilities on your part. Thankfully, there are organisations which can support and assist you to manage you own community care services.

Further Information

Extensive guides and guidance on Direct Payments can be found on the Department of Health, Social Service and Public Safety website.