Owner Occupiers


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


If you own and live in your home, you are the owner occupier. As such, you are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of your own property.

Repair responsibilities therefore lie solely with you. Nevertheless, there may be some grants and schemes available to you, subject to your fulfilment of certain criteria.


Adaptations to the home will also be your responsibility as owner occupier.

However, if, following a Community Care Assessment, you are assessed as needing aids or adaptations in your home, these may be provided by the local Health and Social Care Trust (who will carry out an assessment to decide whether you meet the financial criteria).

Social Services may liaise with other departments such as the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) Grants Departments to secure funding for you.