Credits for State Second Pension


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


State Second Pension (S2P) provides a more generous Additional State Pension for low to moderate earners and includes carers and people with long-term illness or disability.

Therefore, S2P helps people who may not be able to earn due to their caring responsibilities or incapacity. You can combine National Insurance contributions from earnings and credits to gain qualifying years of S2P.

Low to moderate earnings

For the tax year 2013-14, if you are employee with annual earnings of at least £5,668 but less than £14,400, you will be credited with S2P as though you have earnings of £14,400.

Credited earnings

You will also be treated as having earnings of £14,400 if, throughout the year, you receive:

  • Carer’s Allowance or would but for the overlapping benefits rule
  • The long-term rate of Incapacity Benefit or would but for the overlapping benefit rule or because you do not meet the contribution conditions
  • Severe Disability Allowance
  • National Insurance Credits for Basic State Pension (those in receipt of Child Benefit for children under 12 years, those with caring responsibilities for over 20 hours a week and registered foster Carers)