Social Housing


We will not be providing face-to-face advice or training for the foreseeable future. We will contact existing advice clients by phone. Our staff will continue to support our members and can be reached via telephone and email as usual.

We are working hard to move our training, where possible, to digital. For any queries, please contact our training team at [email protected]

We can only provide advice to people living in Northern Ireland. 

Helpline contact details:

Welfare Changes ring 0808 802 0020 or email [email protected]
Tax & Benefits ring 0800 988 2377 or email [email protected]
Business Debt ring 0800 083 8018 or email [email protected]
Debt Action ring 0800 028 1881 or email [email protected]
EU Settlement Scheme ring 0800 138 6545 or email [email protected]
For Historical Institutional Abuse advice and support call 02890 645919 email [email protected]


You may choose to move into social housing, if you are not already a tenant of a social landlord such as the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) or a Housing Association.

Your entitlement to social housing will depend on your individual circumstances.

Sometimes, in the worst case scenario, a move into social housing is out of necessity rather than choice. For example, you may be deemed homeless if you are living in an unfit property, you are living temporarily with family or you have no home after a relationship breakdown. In these cases, social housing is your best option.

The NIHE website signposts the routes to accessing social housing and begins with how to apply for a home. They include information on the application process and what to do if you are in emergency need.

Allocation of social housing is based on a “points” system that measures individual need. Again, the NIHE website discusses how the housing selection scheme works and has produced a handy Housing Selection Scheme booklet (PDF 630 KB)  for you to download or print.

Otherwise, call them directly on 03448 920 900 for further information.

A single application will suffice for the NIHE or a Housing Association in your area.

Also, if you are already a social housing tenant and you are looking to transfer to another social rented home, you will need to complete the Housing/Transfer Application form. Contact your own social landlord for further details.