Retiring Abroad


If you decide to retire abroad you will still be paid your UK State Pension.

People living in the UK will get an annual increase in their pension amount (up-rating). For those retiring outside the UK, the receipt of any rises in state pension (up-rating), however, may be affected. You will only receive an up-rated pension if you have:

  • Retired to a European Economic Area (EEA) country
  • Retired to a non-EC country where the UK has a social security agreement covering State Pension increases

For further information on the relevant countries, visit the Department for Work and Pensions website.

If you retire to a country where no special social security agreement has been agreed, your pension will stay fixed at the rate that existed when you retired abroad.

Useful Contacts from NI Direct

Pension Service

International Pension Centre