Unlike social landlords, private landlords are under no direct duty to provide facilities or adaptations to houses for tenants even if you are disabled.

Private tenants who are disabled are not protected under the Disability Discrimination Act in this instant as private landlords are not a public body. There is only a commercial agreement between private landlords and tenants.

Tenants can choose whether or not to accept a lease. Otherwise, they can find more suitable alternative accommodation. It may be the case, though, that if private rented accommodation no longer meets your needs, you may be classed as homeless under the terms of the NI Housing Order 1988 until you move into more suitable accommodation.


As a private tenant and if you have met the relevant criteria, you can access Disabled Facilities Grants to carry out adaptations.

However, you still must have the permission of the landlord to allow any adaptation or improvement to be made to the property. Permission must be sought for all adaptations or improvements, even if these have been recommended by social services.

A landlord does not have to give permission even if adaptations have been recommended. If a landlord does not give permission for adaptations, you should declare yourself homeless after seeking professional advice.