The majority of people enjoy their time in a care home even though it may have taken them time to adjust to their new surroundings.

If you have any problem or you are concerned about your new life in the care home, you should talk to a member of staff.

This also applies to family members concerned about a relative in care. An informal chat can resolve many problems.

Some homes also have a Resident’s Committee or a ‘suggestion box’ which can be used to raise concerns. However, if this does not resolve the issue, you may want to make a formal complaint.

Formal complaints

All registered care homes must have a complaints' procedure which should be explained to you when you move into the home. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the formal complaint to the care home, you can complain to the Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA) or to the local Trust.

You should receive a letter from the Trust or RQIA to let you know what is being done about your complaint. If you prefer, you can complain directly to your local Trust without complaining to the care home first. However, it is likely that the care home will find out about the complaint anyway if an investigation is required.

Complaints should be made if problems arise, regardless of who funds your care. If there are problems with an organization or body, do not be concerned if you complain to them, even if they are paying your fees.