Winter Fuel Payment


Winter Fuel Payment is not means tested, it is based on your age. This is a tax-free annual benefit paid by the Government to help with the costs of keeping warm in winter. It does not affect your other benefits.


You can automatically qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2020/2021 if both the following apply:

  • you have reached the qualifying age which means you were born on or before 5 October 1954
  • you normally lived in Northern Ireland or Great Britain for at least one day during the week 21 to 27 September 2020 - this is called the 'qualifying week'

You will not qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment if, throughout the week of 21 to 27 September 2020, you:

  • were in prison for the whole week from 21 to 27 September 2020
  • were in hospital getting free treatment for more than 52 weeks
  • needed permission to enter the UK and your granted leave states that you cannot claim public funds
  • lived in a care home for the whole time from 29 June to 27 September 2020 and were receiving Pension Credit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance

What you may receive

If eligible you will receive between £100 and £300, depending on your circumstances.  To check the amount you will receive go to NI Direct

If you're eligible for Winter Fuel Payment and receive certain benefits or have received it in the past, you don't need to claim as you should receive your payment automatically.  If not you will need to claim.

How to Claim

You can claim by telephone by contacting the Winter Fuel Payment Centre on 0800 731 0160 (claims within UK) or +44 (0) 191 218 7777 (claims outside UK)

Text number:  0800 731 0464 (deaf or hearing-impaired callers within UK / +44 (0) 191 218 7280 (deaf or hearing-impaired callers outside UK)

You can also claim by post by downloading an application form or asking The Winter Fuel Payment Centre to send you a form.

You may be eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment if you live in another European Economic Area country or Switzerland and you have a genuine link with the UK.